Tuesday 3 January 2012

Illustration Friday w/e 6/1/2012 - Highlight

So, here's my first Illustration Friday of 2012. I'm planning to produce something pretty much every week this year in an attempt to build up a decent illustration portfolio - with a view to perhaps getting some freelance illustration work.

The given word/theme this week was "Highlight", a word which conjures up images of bad 80's hair or Stabilo highlighter pens, neither of which I really fancied illustrating. So I approached it by a slightly oblique route in the picture above - using the word highlight in the sense of pointing something out. Any feedback appreciated as ever, thanks!

 *** UPDATED ***
I wasn't totally happy with the colouring of the version above, so have been tinkering around and thought I'd also upload these two alternative versions which I think I prefer, as they have more muted colours and a slightly '50s feel. Let me know which you prefer, thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Really, really like this! great style and use of colour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I really like the style and I could see this as an illustration for a magazine article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH! I love your style!! definitely like the colouring on the first, but they all work as the drawing is so cool :) beautiful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of your color choices on all three... I suppose it would depend on what the illustration was used for. Love the drawing style too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your drawing, the colours on the first one work perfect for me (and I love the buildings background) but I understand you were not totally happy, everytime I post a drawing I want to change it too :)

    ReplyDelete